Responsible to the Roads Foreman for working as a labourer and/or flagman on summer and winter maintenance activities. Also involves the operation of tractors with attachments, trucks for snow plowing, sanding and general summer use, rollers, chainsaws, compressors and other designated equipment requiring special skills.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (not listed in order of priority)
1. Work independently or in larger groups to assist with completion of road maintenance tasks involving shoveling, raking, digging, sweeping, etc.
2. Assist with the completion of various activities including platform maintenance (including cold mix patching and power sweeping), roadside maintenance (including grass cutting and shoulder grading), traffic maintenance (including signage repairs, line painting), storm water management (including ditching and catch basin repairs) and winter maintenance (including plowing, sanding and patrolling).
3. Drive a variety of vehicles from smaller utility trucks to large dump trucks as required.
4. Drive large combination snow plow/sander trucks in winter months for completion of winter road maintenance activities.
5. Complete minor repairs on all vehicles and equipment, report major equipment and vehicle defects to Foreman and assist with equipment repair as required.
6. Complete all documents as required including work orders, inventory reports and equipment records.
7. Comply with provincial and County occupational health and safety legislation, regulations, policies and procedures.
8. Maintain confidentiality in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
9. Perform other duties assigned.
EDUCATION, TECHNICAL SKILLS AND CERTIFICATION
- Grade 12 or Grade 12 equivalence diploma.
- Must possess a valid DZ license, AZ license is preferred.
- Ability to work without supervision and to make decisions.
- Able to communicate diplomatically with the public on County roads.
- Related experience as a truck driver, light equipment operator, or skilled labourer in either construction or maintenance of roads,
- Experience in maintenance of roads is preferred.
- Visual and mental effort required when operating equipment for long periods of time, must be aware of surroundings.
- Physical ability to perform as a labourer
- Work is performed out of a County garage.
- Will be out on County roads in all weather conditions.
The County of Simcoe thanks all applicants for their interest in this opportunity, but please note that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Personal information provided is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act (2001) and will be used to determine eligibility for employment.
Apply on company site